Genset energy efficient train cars pulling grain cars


Lease Land

NS has thousands of parcels of land for lease. If you’re interested in leasing property owned by NS or one of its subsidiaries, complete a land lease application form and send it in for consideration.

Lease Track

If you ship by NS rail, you can lease track from the railroad to meet your transportation requirements, including transloading or storing cars in transit. Fill out a track lease application form to get started.

A Thoroughbred train carrying export locomotives bound for,Mozambique, Africa, winds through an S-curve near Huntingdon, Pa.

Lease Land for Cell Towers

If you are interested in leasing property owned by NS or one of its subsidiaries for a communications tower, complete the attached tower application form and send it in for consideration. 

Beautiful pine trees on background high mountains


If you are interested in buying land owned by NS, contact the appropriate real estate representative. NS will determine availability of the land and contact you for discussion.

Obtain Abandoned Track Right of Way (ATROW)

If you own land adjacent to NS right of way where the main track has been removed, and you are interested in acquiring NS’ interest in the right of way, submit the following information:


  • A copy of the deed or deeds to your property adjoining the abandoned track right of way. NS typically limits conveyance of abandoned track rights of way to adjoining landowners.
  • A full-size county tax map showing the property of interest and at least a half mile of property on either side. Clearly identify your property on the tax map as well as the property of inquiry.
  • If possible, provide the distance from your property to the railroad, such as from a railroad milepost marker, railroad bridge, or public road crossing the right of way.
  • Provide a GIS aerial map identifying the property location for the ATROW area and your adjacent property.
  • Include the exact location of the subject property and your adjacent property’s street address.
  • Include a nonrefundable application fee of $1,000.
  • After NS receives your application and reviews it and the title to the property, a real estate representative will contact you regarding property costs and instructions for completing the transaction.